Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Lifesize desktop connection issues.
sunfed Offline
#1 Posted : Friday, December 17, 2010 2:53:39 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
When my remote user connects from lifesize desktop to our Room 200 with firmware 4.7.11 it takes about 15 seconds to start ringing and when the unit does pick up it goes to a black screen. After the connection is established it comes back with an error that there is no audio or video being transmitted and then it disconnects.

There is some communication happening here but not all that is needed. I am using a cisco asa at the room 200 site with ports 1720, 5060, 60000-600031 up and 60000-60007 tcp forwarded to the internal ip of the room 200. Static nat is enabled and pointed to the correct public ip. Sip is enabled.

The client site has ports 5060, 1720 and 60000-64999 both udp and tcp forwarded to the internal ip that lifesize desktop is installed on.

I should add that we use multiple other lifesize room and express units behind cisco asa's and they work correctly. I believe they are using the h323(port 1720) for there connections over the public internet. It looks like the lifesize desktop software will only use SIP so i had to add the forwarding for sip(5060) to the firewall.

Any help you can provide on what might be wrong would be greatly appreciated.
G-Man Offline
#2 Posted : Monday, December 20, 2010 7:27:23 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered, Administrators

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Hi there sunfed. Welcome to the forums.

I'd be most suspicious of the firewalls first. Possibly they are running some sort of SIP ALG or proxy (aka inspection, fix-up, helper, transformations) which is getting in the way of communications.

Anyway, a great way to start tracking down the issue is to install Desktop on to a PC which is in the same LAN as the Room 200. Then make an "internal" call preferably while isolated from your LAN on a dumb switch or something similar. If that all works ok, then you know that you have ruled out the hardware and software and the settings on those two things, and you can then look to your network and connections etc.

I'd start, once you have had a successful internal call, adding in one bit of network complexity at a time - your LAN infrastructure, then any VLANs or QoS etc, then your router and so on.

You should then be able to see what breaks the connection.

Cheers,
G-Man.
sunfed Offline
#3 Posted : Tuesday, December 21, 2010 7:20:05 AM(UTC)

Thank you for the reply. I tried as you suggested and i was able to use the software on my LAN and over my VPN but not over the public internet. I set the machine at the home network to temporarily be in the DMZ and the work firewall has port 5060 forwarded to the lifesize room unit. I turned off SIP inspection on the firewall at the lifesize room firewall. There must be some other ports that i don't have forwarded?

Current ports forwarded to the lifesize room unit.

5060 tcp and udp
1720 tcp and udp
60000-600031 up
60000-60007 tcp

Am i missing any?
G-Man Offline
#4 Posted : Wednesday, December 22, 2010 9:48:33 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered, Administrators

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Assuming you have your LifeSize system set to 60000-600031 UDP and 60000-60007 TCP, then no I don't think you're missing any ports there. Myself, I always use a broader range than that myself, usually 60000-60100 TCP/UDP, to give some breathing room, but yours should be enough for the call.

Desktop itself doesn't do any NAT traversal, so possibly this is the issue you're seeing. Some firewalls what you're trying to do will work but some won't, which is why LifeSize only support it themselves over VPN or using LifeSize Transit.

Are you on cable? Or, more to the point, do you have a modem that provides public IP address, separate from your router? Could you hook up your PC directly to the modem, just for a test, so that the PC actually has the public IP? That way, you're cutting the router out of the picture and might get you closer to your answer.

You are using Desktop v2 aren't you?

Cheers,
G-Man.
Thiago Cardoso Offline
#5 Posted : Monday, January 31, 2011 9:59:52 AM(UTC)

sunfed wrote:
When my remote user connects from lifesize desktop to our Room 200 with firmware 4.7.11 it takes about 15 seconds to start ringing and when the unit does pick up it goes to a black screen. After the connection is established it comes back with an error that there is no audio or video being transmitted and then it disconnects.

There is some communication happening here but not all that is needed. I am using a cisco asa at the room 200 site with ports 1720, 5060, 60000-600031 up and 60000-60007 tcp forwarded to the internal ip of the room 200. Static nat is enabled and pointed to the correct public ip. Sip is enabled.

The client site has ports 5060, 1720 and 60000-64999 both udp and tcp forwarded to the internal ip that lifesize desktop is installed on.

I should add that we use multiple other lifesize room and express units behind cisco asa's and they work correctly. I believe they are using the h323(port 1720) for there connections over the public internet. It looks like the lifesize desktop software will only use SIP so i had to add the forwarding for sip(5060) to the firewall.

Any help you can provide on what might be wrong would be greatly appreciated.

was this ever fixed? I'm getting the same exact issue! please help!
sunfed Offline
#6 Posted : Monday, January 31, 2011 10:10:03 AM(UTC)

We did not find a solution to get the desktop software to work over the public internet alone. It does work over our VPN so we have left it at that.

We would like to see it work over the internet so we don't have create access to our VPN for everyone we want to join one of our lifesize units. Before switching to the Lifesize desktop software we used the polycom pvx software. It worked ok but it wouldn't show video and a presentation at the same time. It was one or the other.